- What Does a Radiology Tech Do?
- What Education is Needed to Become a Radiology Tech?
- What is the Difference Between a Certificate and a Degree in Radiology Tech?
- How Long Does it Take to Get a Radiology Tech Certificate?
- What is the Job Outlook for Radiology Techs?
- How Much Does a Radiology Tech make?
- What are the Steps to Get a Radiology Tech Certificate?
How to Get a Radiology Tech Certificate in 8 Steps. If you’re interested in becoming a radiology technologist, follow these steps to earn your certificate.
Checkout this video:
A radiology tech certificate program typically takes about a year to complete. The first step is to attend an accredited radiology school and complete the necessary coursework. Once you have completed the required coursework, you will then need to pass the American Registry of Radiologic Technicians (ARRT) certification exam. Once you have passed the exam, you will be a certified radiology tech and will be able to work in a variety of settings, including hospitals, clinics, and private practices.
What Does a Radiology Tech Do?
Radiology techs are diagnostic medical professionals who use imaging technologies to help physicians diagnose and treat illness and injury. Radiology techs, also called radiologic technologists or radiographers, typically work in hospitals, clinics or medical offices, but may also find employment in educational institutions or research facilities.
Radiology techs use a variety of imaging modalities, including X-ray, computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and ultrasound. They may specialize in one or more modalities. For example, CT techs focus on performing CT scans, while MRI techs specialize in conducting MRI exams.
Radiology techs typically work Monday through Friday during regular business hours. However, some positions may require evening, weekend or holiday shifts. Those who work in hospitals or other 24-hour facilities may be required to work overnight shifts.
What Education is Needed to Become a Radiology Tech?
There are multiple educational paths that can lead to a career as a radiologic technologist. The minimum requirement is an associate degree from an accredited program, but many technologists choose to pursue a bachelor’s degree. There are also post-primary certificate programs available for those who already have a health care related degree and wish to specialize in radiography.
The typical Radiology Tech program takes two years to complete, although some schools offer accelerated programs that can be finished in as little as 18 months. Coursework includes basic sciences such as anatomy and physiology, medical ethics, patient care and radiation physics. radiology tech students also get clinical experience in hospitals and imaging centers.
Most states require licensure or certification for radiologic technologists, and the American Registry of Radiologic Technicians (ARRT) is the most common credentialing organization. To become certified, candidates must graduate from an accredited program, pass a comprehensive exam and complete continuing education requirements every few years to maintain their certification.
What is the Difference Between a Certificate and a Degree in Radiology Tech?
There are two main types of educational programs for aspiring radiology technicians: certificate programs and degree programs. Both types of programs can lead to a rewarding career in the medical field, but there are some important differences to take into account before making a decision.
Radiology tech certificate programs are typically shorter in duration than degree programs, and they focus primarily on the technical skills and knowledge needed for the job. These programs can be completed in as little as one year, and they often offer evening or weekend classes to accommodate the schedules of working adults. Certificate programs generally don’t require any prerequisites beyond a high school diploma or equivalent, so they may be a good option for those who haven’t taken any college courses before.
Degree programs in radiology tech typically take two years to complete, and they include general education courses in addition to classes that focus on the technical aspects of the job. These programs usually require students to have completed some college coursework before starting the program, and they may also require students to complete an internship or externship as part of the curriculum. Degree programs typically offer more opportunities for specialization than certificate programs, so they may be a good option for those who want to pursue a specific area of interest within the field.
How Long Does it Take to Get a Radiology Tech Certificate?
Radiologic technologists usually need at least an associate’s degree from an accredited program to qualify for certification and most states require licensure. certificate programs typically take 2 years to complete, but some accelerated programs may be completed in as little as 18 months.
What is the Job Outlook for Radiology Techs?
The job outlook for radiology techs is positive, with an expected growth of 14% from 2019 to 2029.* This is much faster than the average for all occupations, so now is a great time to enter the field. The median annual salary for radiology techs was $60,070 in 2019,** so earning your certificate can lead to a stable and well-paying career.
There are several different types of radiology tech certificates, so you can choose the one that best fits your interests and goals. For example, you could earn a radiation therapy certificate or a computed tomography (CT) certificate. Each type of certificate has different course requirements, so be sure to do your research before enrolling in a program.
Earning your radiology tech certificate can open up a world of possibilities, so get started on your path today.
How Much Does a Radiology Tech make?
Certified Radiology Techs (CRT) make up the majority of the radiology tech workforce and earn a median salary of $58,520 per year. Radiology technicians who have more than five years of experience can expect to earn $64,000 or more per year. The top 10% of earners make more than $74,000 per year.
What are the Steps to Get a Radiology Tech Certificate?
If you want to become a radiology technologist, you will need to complete a certificate or degree program in radiologic technology. Programs typically take two years to complete, although some schools offer accelerated programs that can be completed in as little as 18 months. Once you have completed your program, you will need to obtain a state license before you can begin working. Read on to learn more about the steps you need to take to get a radiology tech certificate.
1. Complete an accredited radiologic technologist program. In order to become a licensed radiologic technologist, you must first complete an accredited certificate or degree program in radiologic technology. Programs typically take two years to complete and include coursework in anatomy, physiology, medical terminology, and imaging procedures.
2. Pass the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) exam. Once you have completed your educational requirements, you will need to pass the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) exam in order to become certified. The ARRT offers examinations in several different specialties, including radiation therapy and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
3. Obtain state licensure. After passing the ARRT exam, you will need to obtain state licensure before you can begin working as a radiologic technologist. Licensure requirements vary from state to state, but most states require candidates to pass an examination and background check. Some states also require continuing education credits in order to maintain licensure.
4. Find a job as a radiologic technologist. Once you have met all of the educational and certification requirements, you can begin searching for jobs as a radiologic technologist. Many hospitals and clinics hire radiologic technologists on a per-diem basis, so it may be necessary to apply for multiple positions in order to find full-time employment.
It is possible to get a radiology tech certificate without attending a formal radiology tech program. There are a number of ways to do this, but the most common is by completing an accredited online Radiology Tech Certificate program. These programs are typically shorter and less expensive than traditional radiology tech programs, and they can be completed in as little as six months.